04 May 2010
"As the coal trade has gone global, so has coal pricing. In just the last decade, spot markets for coal have sprung up in Europe and Asia. Prices in those markets, though physically separated by more than ten thousand shipping miles, are often tightly correlated. As markets have connected, the flows of coal have chased the best price. In the summer of 2008, a spike in European coal prices attracted coal traditionally bound for east-coast U.S. markets. At times, a cheap cargo from Australia even travels all the way to dear markets in Europe. Coal is still not nearly as liquid and flexible as oil, but it is decisively headed in that direction. In fact, as with oil markets, trading of coal derivatives in European markets has surpassed trade of the physical commodity..."
Power Sector Inefficiency - Economic & Legal Implications
"A unit of energy saved is known to be greater than a unit generated as it saves on production, transport, transmission and utilisation. Because of huge losses in these areas a unit saved in end use is likely to be greater than many times generated, as per some experts. Hence any amount of money in this area is worth the investment because it provides perpetual benefits as opposed to perpetual costs in the case of large conventional power stations. It is pertinent to note that the expenditure for such energy efficiency and DSM measures is estimated to be about 25 to 40 percent of the cost of green site power stations..."
OIL & GAS
- Crude oil imports dip 14 pc in March; oil products sale falls 1 pc
- Indian Govt wants greater say in Petronet LNG
- Regulator hikes hauling tariff for Gail, Reliance Gas in 'haste'
- Reliance, others withdraw from Iran, but China replaces them
- TNK-BP implements production plans in Russian fields
- Saudi Aramco: Ju'aymah NGL plant now world's largest
- Power PSU top executives may be held responsible for missing targets
- Govt's power targets not convincing: House panel
- Centre to bring down power deficit to 3 pc by 2017
- China Nuclear sets up fourth-generation plant venture
- Spain pricks solar power bubble as Greek fate looms
- Norway delays Mongstad carbon capture and storage project